INCREASE IN CATALYSTS THEFT
This week, WEGO PD took several reports of incidents involving catalytic converters being cut and removed from vehicle undercarriages. The suspect(s) appear to be targeting local apartment complexes along West Chester Pike in Westtown and East Goshen townships early in the morning between 3:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
REQUEST FOR PUBLIC VIGILANCE & ASSISTANCE!
- We ask members of the public to call 9-1-1 and report any suspicious activity that may appear to be an individual damaging or removing parts from parked vehicles.
- We remain committed to protecting the vehicles and property of our community members, as we always have, and hope to stop these thieves before they victimize you or someone else.
WHAT SHOULD YOU LOOK FOR?
- Thieves often arrive in the area and park their vehicle near a victim vehicle, crawl under the undercarriage, remove the catalytic converter from the vehicle, and disappear within seconds.
- The tool of choice for thieves is usually a battery-operated reciprocating saw or “sawzall”, which can create a loud vibration and cutting noise.
- Robberies usually occur during the night until the wee hours of the morning, but they have been known to occur during the day as well.
- Parking lots in apartment complexes and condominiums are often targets due to the increased number of vehicles in a small area.
WHY CATALYTIC CONVERTERS?
- Various vehicles, including commercial and passenger vehicles, have been targeted for their catalytic converters which are often sold or scrapped because they contain high-value platinum.