Law enforcement is working to stem rising auto theft cases in New Jersey

Auto thefts hit an all-time high in New Jersey last year. As crimes rise again this year, state police are now teaming up with local law enforcement to try to put a stop to it.

According to the New Jersey State Police, an average of 46 cars are stolen every day in New Jersey. Lawmakers say that number is concerning even with a recent drop in numbers.

Democratic Rep. Mikie Sherrill represents Montclair’s 11th District. She recently hosted a town hall event at Montclair State University to answer questions from her constituents and address some current concerns, one of them being the increase in thefts. of cars.

State police say more than 10,000 cars have been stolen in New Jersey this year, a 25% increase from last year.

“We’re 24% above where we were this time last year,” said State Police Maj. Joseph Brennan. “Last year was the worst year on record for auto thefts in the state of New Jersey.”

Brennan says the soldiers are monitoring the situation in real time. He says that over the past four weeks, car thefts have decreased by 11%. The New Jersey attorney general’s office rescinded a policy earlier this year to allow police to chase car thieves.

“Which has been identified as an issue by police chiefs across the state as a contributing factor to the sharp increase in motor vehicle thefts,” Brennan said.

So how can New Jersey residents protect their cars? Brennan says most of the stolen cars were taken because the key fobs were left inside the vehicle. He says it’s essential to make sure cars and homes are locked. Key fobs and garage door openers should not be left inside cars.

State police say 80% of stolen cars in New Jersey are recovered. The remaining 20% ​​are probably sold.

There is a statewide auto theft task force made up of local, county, state, and federal agencies sharing information to combat the problem.


Source link

Comments are closed.