National Housing Program: 7,315 online requests to buy houses 7 days after portal launch
The federal government revealed that it had received 7,315 online applications from Nigerians to acquire homes under the National Housing Program, seven days after the online portal launched.
This was revealed by the Minister of Public Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, in a statement Friday in Abuja, according to the Nigerian news agency.
He also stated that the houses offered were 1 bedroom 60 m², 2 bedroom 76 m² and 3 bedroom 110 m² houses, adding that they are larger than what most developers are offering.
What the minister says
Fashola said, “To date, 7,315 applications have been received so far and the number continues to increase. “
He said there has been progress in selling homes to the public since the launch of the online platform for openness and transparency, as well as to avoid unnecessary interference from some special interests.
“There are 1, 2, 3 bedrooms, some of which are bungalows, while others are apartments. The minimum house is 7.2 m N and the highest is about 16 m N ”, he said.
He added that the ministry had carried out an investigation into the type of houses Nigerians wanted to live in, in order to avoid the unfortunate incidents of the past, where some houses built did not meet the needs of the people.
The conditions of purchase include; passport photos, tax clearance and clear means of identification, application fee of N 10,000. The Minister noted that it was not possible to buy more than one house.
“Affordability is not only a function of cost, but also of the method of payment, which is why we created the option of payment on lease with option to buy,” he said.
What you should know
Nairametrics reported this week that the federal government has entered into plans to start selling homes under the national housing program from 7.2 million naira. It was then that the government unveiled the housing program portal and urged Nigerians to apply for affordable housing through the website.
Public Works and Housing Minister Babatunde Fashola said the housing construction program was being carried out in phases, with more than 5,000 houses completed in the first and second phases in 34 states and the Federal Capital Territory.